1. Open these two google docs I shared with you called "Persuasive Essay Topics" and "Persuasive Essay Resources and Research Guide". Save the "Resource and Research Guide" as a copy and put your name in the title.
2. Using the resource links, research a couple of the topics you are interested in. If you are not sure on a topic yet, peruse the Upfront magazines, procon.org, The N.Y. Times Learning Network article archive, and the Article of the Week archive.
3. As you read websites and articles be sure to copy or paraphrase in your research guide any important facts or quotes you come across. Write the website/magazine/newspaper name, headline, author, and date if available. Be sure to put the evidence into either the "pro" or "con" section. Also identify the experts in the articles, so you can refer to them later in your essay.
4. You will definitely need at least 3 credible sources for your essay, so keep researching until you find quality articles. Once you have your topic picked and have filled out the research guide. Add your name and position statement to the class topic list. (see my listing as an example)
- Complete your product comparison review rough draft and give it the title "Your Name: Title: Rough Draft." This needs to be complete by Tuesday morning so we can start revising in the lab. If you don't have computer access at home please work at homework club. Make sure you are explaining, comparing, and using specific examples from your criteria table. Use at least five coordinating/subordinating conjunctions and bold them.
- Looking at the Read ReAD and RoC revision chart for ideas, read your review once more and look for ways to improve. Now read and proofread your own at least 3 other student's reviews. Don't correct mistakes for them, but you can underline spelling, capitalization, or punctuation errors. When necessary, add ReAD and RoC comments.
- Read those comments and revise! Copy two rubrics to the end of your review and use one to assess yourself, leave the other one for me. Go back and make any more improvements. Once you feel your final draft is complete. Change your title to "You Name: Title: Final Draft" and change your sharing settings with me so I can edit. Final Drafts are Due Friday.